Monday, May 21, 2012

Redemption

In a recent post, I had some unkind words about my WoodRiver #5 jack plane, so I think it's only fair that I provide an update now that it's been fixed.

whole again
The yoke changed color
Apparently I had purchased version 2 of the plane. Woodcraft has since come out with V3, to fix the brittle yoke issue I ran into. I called my local woodcraft store looking to return the plane. After a short goose-chase, I was talking to customer service, who readily agreed to send me a steel yoke from the new version.

It installed easily, and just like that, the plane worked again. What a relief! Now I can take advantage of the iron I finally cambered.

The camber is visible here. It's an imprecise 8" radius, iirc.
Now I'm taking nice, thick shavings again, and I'm happy. It seems WoodCraft has good customer service and makes quite a servicable jack plane.



No comments:

Post a Comment